Casa Teresa, CantabriaGama | Ref: GAM1 | Bedrooms: 3 | Sleeps: 6
Detached family house with large garden in peaceful hamlet near fabulous beaches.
Built in the sixties among a mixture of older and newer properties this detached, stone-built house has a sunny, south-facing balcony and a large enclosed garden.
Inside, the house is traditionally furnished and fairly simple in its décor but is very well equipped and has a pleasant, homely feel to it - great after a day at the beach or a busy one, exploring.
The village, set in a pretty valley of fields, dotted with fascinating churches and hills beyond, is just a short drive from the coast and the nearby fishing port of Santoña, producer of the best anchovies in Spain. On the way there don’t miss the stunning wetlands of the Marismas de Santoña, a protected nature reserve and an important sanctuary for birdlife.
For a family day out the Cabárceno Wildlife Park is just nearby and the easy access to the breath-taking mountains of the Ason valley and the proximity to the lively cities of Santander and Bilbao, make it an excellent choice for those seeking an active, yet cultural holiday.
Pets are allowed and there is WIFI.
Accommodation DescriptionFront gate opens into fully enclosed garden. Up path to front door opening into open plan living room with sitting and dining areas and kitchen. Doors from these into hall. Off hall, bathroom.
Wooden stairs from hall to landing. Off landing, three bedrooms
(one double, one double and one twin) and bathroom and doors onto south facing balcony.
Reg. No. G-12485
|Bedroom Details:||1 dble (140 cms), 1 dble (150 cms) 1 twin (105 cms).|
|Bathrooms:||2; (1 shwr. unit, W.C. and washbasin (grd. flr.), 1 shwr. unit, W.C. and washbasin (first flr.).)|
|Nearest Shop:||1.5 km - Gama|
|Bars/Restaurants:||1.5 km - Gama|
|Nearest Airport:||Santander (31km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (35km)|
View Full Details
|High||July & August||£1450|
|Low||Rest of year||£1250|
|Christmas and main public holidays are charged at mid or high season rates.|
This property has the following options
(NB 'short breaks' and 'small party' offers not available in high season)
Self Catering Holiday (min 7 nights)
Surrounded by fields and woods with hills beyond, a peaceful and relaxing spot, it is nine kilometres to the coast and a range of spectacular sandy beaches, Playa de Berria being the nearest.
There are no facilities in La Madrid, but Gama, the main village just one and a half kilometres from the house, provides most of life's necessities, including a supermarket, banks, a chemist's, a petrol station and a health clinic. There are some bars and restaurants here too.
A little bit further is the important fishing port of Santona, famous for its anchovies, the best in Spain! Here you'll find more facilities, including a weekly market.
- Beautiful beaches - great for surfing. Playa de Berria, Noja, Isla, Ajo, Galizano, Somo ...
- Gentle walks straight from the door.
- Birdwatching / nature at the Marismas de Santona.
- Cycling, walking or driving in the beautiful Valley de Ason.Visit the source of the Río Gándara and the viewpoint of Las Cascadas del Gándara at the village of La Gándara and the source of the Río Asón.
- Prehistoric caves of Cullavera and Covalanas with their impressive paintings In the Ason valley.
- Canoe on the river Asón.
- Discover pretty Escalante, a very short drive.
- Hike around Monte Buciero(there are 5 routes), taking in an abandoned lighthouse, Napoleonic forts and spectacular views.
- Buy pottery from all over Spain at the roadside shop in Ambrosero.
- Golf at Seve Ballesteros' course in nearby Pedrena.
- Feast on fish and seafood at numerous restaurants in the area. Book a table at the fantastic three star Michelin restaurant Cenador de Amos at Villaverde de Pontones or at one star Bicicleta in Hoznayo or at one star La Solana in Ampuero.
- Eat the best anchovies in the world at nearby Santoña where you can take a trip across the bay to Laredo.
- Visit the local Bodega Vidular and Bodega Lancina and sample their excellent white wines.
- Visit Cabárceno - excellent wildlife park, an easy trip.
- Visit Santander - there is a regular ferry service from Somo.
- Visit the Guggenheim museum and Bilbao in less than an hour.
Santander and the east of Cantabria region has excellent access by air and sea:
Stansted to Bilbao with Easyjet or Santander with Ryanair;
Gatwick to Bilbao or Oviedo with Vueling (BA).
Manchester to Bilbao with Easyjet;
Bristol to Bilbao with Easyjet;
Edinburgh to Santander with Ryanair or Bilbao with Easyjet;
Dublin to Santander with Ryanair or Bilbao with Aer Lingus.
NB Flights are not included but we can advise on routes and timetables
Ferries: Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao – 5 sailings weekly.
We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.