Casa La Fuente, Cantabria and AsturiasMogrovejo | Ref: MOG1 | Bedrooms: 4 | Sleeps: 7
Homely cottage with lovely garden and magnificent mountain views in picturesque village.
Cosy and comfortable, practical and functional and caringly presented, it makes a perfect base for a true mountain holiday - a lovely place to come back to after a day's hiking or exploring or just to stay put and chill out.
Its delightful, fully enclosed garden at the rear, with the most spectacular views of the craggy mountains is an absolute joy. Perfect for al fresco meals, for reading and relaxing and great for kids to run around in.
With two friendly bars serving snacks in the village and two restaurants at one kilometre and the bustling market town of Potes with most facilities, a fifteen minute drive, you are very well placed.
Walking and cycling routes start from the village and the cable car at Fuente De, taking you to the high peaks, is not far up the valley.
Accommodation DescriptionFront door opens into hall. Off this, sitting room, bathroom and kitchen/diner.
Up wooden stairs to landing. Off this, bathroom and three bedrooms (one double, one double and single, one large double).
Up further stairs to attic room (one double and one single).
Gate at side of front door to large, fully enclosed garden with spectacular mountain views.
|Bedroom Details:||1 dble (135 cms), 1 dble (135 cms) and 1 single (90 cms), 1 dble (150 cms). First flr. 1 dble (135 cms) and 1 single (90 cms). Attic flr.|
|Bathrooms:||2; (1 shwr. unit, W.C. and washbasin (grd. flr). 1 small bath/shwr., W.C. and washbasin (first flr).)|
|Nearest Shop:||10 kms - Potes|
|Nearest Airport:||Santander (116km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (116km)|
View Full Details
|High||July, August, Easter||£1100|
|Low||Rest of year||£880|
|Additional heating charges applicable Oct 31st to May 31st|
This property has the following options
(NB 'short breaks' and 'small party' offers not available in high season)
Rest of year
With its imposing medieval tower, charming C17th church and handsome traditional houses, it is not surprising that it was chosen as the location for the new film "Heidi" (still to be released).
Obviously its beauty does attract visitors and walkers, particularly in the summer months, but come the evening, the two village bars serving tasty local cheeses and cured sausages, make a pleasant place to sit and soak in the scene.
There is an interesting little museum too " Museo de la Escuela" which explains the local history.
- Walking, including a very pretty circular route which starts and ends in the village.
Also from the village below, Los Llanos, there is access up to Monte Suviedes where there is a colony of vultures.
- Walk the Ruta de Cares from Posada de Valdeon.
- Birdwatching. From the garden you will be amazed by the vultures on Monte Suviedes and many other species.
- Local history museum " Museo de La Escuela" in the vlllage.
- Horse-riding - Centro Ecuestre Aravalle in Olalle, near Tama - the other side of Potes.
- Fishing in the River Deva (but with a licence).
- Swimming in the River Deva at Camaleno.
- Many outdoor activity companies in Potes offering all sorts of activities.
- Sample the local tipple "orujo" at Bodega Sierra del Oso in the village of Arguebanes (off the road before Potes).
- Explore the interesting old town of Potes.
- Visit the fascinating churches in Piasca and Santa Maria de Lebena and the monastery of Santo Toribio.
- Take the cable car up to the heights at Fuente De and enjoy the walks at the top.
- Sample the gastronomy of the region at many family run restaurants - cocido lebaniego, the local dish, not to be missed!
- Get a taste for the local cheeses - track down the many local villages that make their own - Lon, Pido, Baro, Pendes..
- Take a day trip by the San Glorio pass to the city of Leon with its amazing cathedral.
The Picos de Europa has excellent access by air and sea:
Stansted to Bilbao with Easyjet or Santander with Ryanair;
Gatwick to Bilbao or Oviedo with Vueling (BA).
Manchester to Bilbao with Easyjet;
Bristol to Bilbao with Easyjet;
Edinburgh to Santander with Ryanair or Bilbao with Easyjet;
Dublin to Santander with Ryanair or Bilbao with Aer Lingus.
NB Flights are not included but we can advise on routes and timetables
Ferries: Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao – 7 sailings weekly.
We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.