Castro do Medio, GaliciaCastro do Medio, Cerdedo | Ref: GCAS1 | Bedrooms: 6 | Sleeps: 14
Delightful, traditional, family house with eco swimming pool in beautiful countryside.
Spacious, homely and comfy, it stands in a lovely, natural, fully enclosed garden (3500m2) with a fantastic eco, spring water swimming pool, with wonderful views of the valley of Quireza and the hills beyond.
Furnished in country style, its interesting paintings and ornaments and artefacts create a hunting lodge feel, though modern comforts have not been forgotten. There is a new, fully fitted, very well equipped kitchen and four bathrooms, three of them ensuite. Wifi is available.
It makes a perfect retreat for nature lovers and walkers and for those who just want to relax, be it by the pool in the summer months or by the open fire in cooler weather. The garden with its horreo (traditional grain store) and variety of fruit trees will delight the children.
Though the village has no facilities, the bread van comes every day, you can walk down a country lane to a bar and a short drive takes you to Cerdedo with essential facilities. Pontevedra (40 minutes) and Santiago (50 minutes) will have all that you need and the coast, where you are spoilt for superb, sandy beaches, is less than an hour.
Accommodation DescriptionFront gate opens off street, into fully enclosed grounds.
There is also a large gate that opens off the street a little bit further up into the grounds and parking area.
Up outside stone steps to front door and into the hall.
Off hall, fully fitted, modern kitchen with gallery window across the front.
Door from the hall to passage. Off this, two bedrooms (rollaway bed - two singles and 1 twin) and bathroom.
Door to spacious sitting room with fireplace. Enclosed gallery across the side with views onto the garden.
Double doors into large dining room. Doors onto a balcony.
From this, back to hall and off this one bedroom (1 twin) with ensuite bathroom.
Up stairs to landing and three bedrooms (1 triple (ensuite bathroom), 1 twin and 1 double (ensuite bathroom).
Licence no: VT-PO-000158
|Bedroom Details:||1 twin, 1 twin, 1twin (grd. flr.), 1 triple (1 dble and 2 sing), 1 twin, 1 dble. (first flr.).|
|Bathrooms:||4; (1 bath/shwr., W.C., bidet and washbasin. (grd.flr.) Ensuite bathroom: 1 bath/shwr., W.C., bidet and washbasin. (grd. flr). Ensuite bathroom: 1 bath/shwr., W.C., bidet and washbasin. Ensuite bathroom: 1 bath/shwr., W.C., bidet and washbasin. (first flr.). )|
|Nearest Shop:||5 km - Cerdedo|
|Bars/Restaurants:||Bar at 2.3km in Quireza. Restaurant at 5 km in Cerdedo.|
|Nearest Airport:||Santiago (56km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (535km)|
View Full Details
|High||July & August; Easter||£2390|
|Low||Rest of Year||£2190|
Christmas and main public holidays are charged at mid or high season rates.
This property has the following options
(NB 'short breaks' and 'small party' offers not available in high season)
Self Catering Holiday (min 7 nights)
View from the house
Castro do Medio, Cerdedo
A bread van comes every morning and there is a bar and a chemist's in nearby Quireza across the valley and for more provisions and simple restaurants the small town of Cerdedo is a nine minute drive. There is also a fluvial beach here and a centre for paragliding.
A beautiful, unspoilt area, watered by little rivers, perfect for walking and mountain biking, almost every village has some fascinating monument be it a neoclassical church, a Roman bridge, an ancient watermill or an "eira" - a collection of ancient horreos (traditional grain stores).
Better known is the archeological site at Campo Lameiro with its amazing "rock" art, but even that still seems like a secret.
Though tucked away from the busy, modern world, traditional fiestas here are colourful and important events, no more than the annual (first weekend of July) round up of wild horses "Rapa das Bestas" in nearby Sabucedo, a memorable four day event.
- Walking and cycling in the local area. Some beautiful routes.
- Discovering fascinating monuments in almost every little village - churches, Roman bridges, ancient watermills and "eiras" - collections of horreos (traditional grain stores).
- Amazing "rock" art at the archeological site at Campo Lameiro.
- Visit the ruins of " A Casa da Peste" in A Godela, an uninhabited village and find out about its grim history!
- Enjoy the many local fiestas, including the round up of wild horses "Rapa das Bestas", the first weekend of July, in nearby Sabucedo.
- Further afield near Pontevedra, numerous Bodegas (wineries) to visit to sample and buy the fantastic, internationally renowned white wine "Albarino".
- Visit the ancient monasteries of Armentieira and Poio.
- Spend a few hours or more in the old, coastal town of Cambados, capital and heart of the Albarino wine making area.
- Enjoy Combarro, a museum almost, of a typical Galician fishing village.
- Take a boat trip in the Rias de Arousa and Pontevedra, visiting the mussel beds.
- Enjoy all kinds of watersports - diving, snorkelling, sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rafting and fishing.
- Experience the lively fish markets at Sanxenxo, O Grove and Portonovo. Buy produce to cook at home.
- Play golf at the fabulous 18 hole courses at Meis and Isla La Toja.
- Feast on fish and seafood at the lively resort and marina of Sanxenxo and on oysters at nearby Arcade.
- Sample the local gastronomy at the many family run restaurants in the area.
- Take a boat trip to the magical Islas Cies from Vigo.
- Visit the historic cities of Pontevedra, Santiago de Compostela and Vigo, all within easy reach.
Holiday Ideas near Castro do Medio, Cerdedo
The Rias Bajas region in the south of Galicia is well served by air:
From Heathrow to A Coruña with Vueling (BA);
From Gatwick to Santiago with Easyjet;
From Stansted to Vigo or Santiago with Ryanair;
From Dublin to Vigo with Ryanair or Santiago with Aer Lingus.
For the more southerly properties flights to Porto in Portugal may also be a good option:
From Heathrow with BA;
From Gatwick with Easyjet or TAP;
From Stansted with Ryanair;
From Luton with Easyjet;
From Manchester with TAP, Easyjet or Ryanair;
From Bristol with Easyjet;
From Edinburgh with Ryanair;
From Dublin with TAP and Ryanair.
NB Flights are not included but we can advise on routes and timetables
Good motorway links now make ferry travel a possibility though you may need to consider stop-overs depending on sailing times (see our selection of hotels)
(Vigo is 5 hours 30 mins from Santander)
Ferries: Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao – 7 sailings weekly. Ireland to North Spain - 2 sailings a week.
Please ask us for advice on ferry crossings, timetables and flexible start dates to fit with the crossings.
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.