Casa Diego, Cantabria and AsturiasMieses | Ref: POT24 | Bedrooms: 3 | Sleeps: 6
Modern house in peaceful spot with spectacular views of the Picos de Europa.
In the upper part of the little village of Mieses, with the famous monastery of Santo Toribio above, it also has a panoramic view of the delightful market town of Potes below.
With all the accommodation on the first floor (the lower part of the house is unused), it is a practical and functional property. Comfortably furnished and attractively decorated, it is in a peaceful and relaxing spot. A great base for exploring the area, either on foot or in the car, but also pleasant to come back to, to take in the unique views and enjoy a drink or read a book on the terrace or in the porch.
With a good, traditional restaurant, a short walk away, and Potes with all amenities less than two kilometres, you really are very well placed.
Accommodation DescriptionLarge, fully enclosed garden, parts of which are sloping.
Covered porch on ground floor. Outside steps to paved terrace.
Off terrace, front door opens into hall and passage. Off this is the sitting room, the kitchen/diner, the bathroom and three bedrooms (one double and two twins).
|Bedroom Details:||1 dble, 1 twin, 1 twin|
|Bathrooms:||1; (1 bath/shwr, W.C. and washbasin.)|
|Nearest Shop:||2km - Potes|
|Bars/Restaurants:||In village - a short walk|
|Nearest Airport:||Santander (108km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (110km)|
View Full Details
|Low||Rest of the year||£800|
|Christmas and main public holidays are charged at mid or high season rates.|
This property has the following options
(NB 'short breaks' and 'small party' offers not available in high season)
Self Catering Holiday (min 7 nights)
Under two kilometres to the lovely market town of Potes, it has the most spectacular views of the town and more importantly of the Picos de Europa.
With under forty inhabitants, it has a restaurant serving traditional regional food and a campsite with a small shop selling basics, open to the general public.
It makes a good base for both walkers and cyclists.
- Walking locally - There are walks that start from the village.
- Walk the Ruta de Cares from Posada de Valdeon.
- Horse-riding - Centro Ecuestre Aravalle in Vinon, near Tama - the other side of Potes.
- Fishing in the River Deva (but with a licence).
- Swimming in the River Deva at Camaleno.
- Many outdoor activity companies in Potes offering all sorts of activities.
- Sample the local tipple "orujo" at Bodega Sierra del Oso In Ojedo (off the road before Potes).
- Explore the interesting old town of Potes.
- Visit the fascinating churches in Piasca and Santa Maria de Lebana and the monastery of Santo Toribio.
- Take the cable car up to the heights at Fuente De and enjoy the walks at the top.
- Sample the gastronomy of the region at many family run restaurants - cocido lebaniego, the local dish, not to be missed!
- Get a taste for the local cheeses - track down the many local villages that make their own - Lon, Pido, Baro, Pendes..
- Take a day trip by the San Glorio pass to the city of Leon with its amazing cathedral.
The Picos de Europa has excellent access by air and sea:
Stansted to Bilbao with Easyjet or Santander with Ryanair;
Gatwick to Bilbao or Oviedo with Vueling (BA).
Manchester to Bilbao with Easyjet;
Bristol to Bilbao with Easyjet;
Edinburgh to Santander with Ryanair or Bilbao with Easyjet;
Dublin to Santander with Ryanair or Bilbao with Aer Lingus.
NB Flights are not included but we can advise on routes and timetables
Ferries: Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao – 7 sailings weekly.
We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.
Reviews of this property
Stunning location with the Picos mountains as a backdrop to the house. The access to the house by car was challenging in the first instance, but Diego and Rosa the hosts showed us an alternative route. The house was immaculate, and very thoughtfully decorated. The garden was extremely well maintained. The hosts could not have been more helpful. Access to Potes by foot took around 30 minutes.