Casa del Pintor, GaliciaCambados | Ref: GCAB1 | Bedrooms: 4 | Sleeps: 6
The owner - artist, carpenter and sailor, of these two traditional, terraced, fishermen's cottages, known as "casas Remos", so emblematic of the Galician coastline, beautifully and sensitively converted and transformed them into one house, creating the very special home it is today.
On four floors, the design, decoration and furnishings are the result of his fine skills to produce a homely, comfortable and cosy atmosphere with a true maritime feel. The quality of the woodwork and his own, very interesting paintings throughout the house, give it a unique, somewhat quirky character, almost giving you the sensation that you are out at sea.
The mesmerizing, panoramic views, particularly from the living room, of the port, sea and the Illa de Arousa alone will get you hooked.
The beach just around the corner from the house, on the little island of San Sadurnino, is good for a quick dip and for sunbathing, but the best beaches are on La Illa de Arousa at ten kilometres and the fantastic Playa de Lanzada at seventeen kilometres which is great for surfing and has a surf school.
NB. a special rate for couples is offered, except July and August.
Accommodation DescriptionOutside steps up from street to small sitting out area at the front of the house (this a a right of way, but if used, only by the neighbour). Front door opens into the hall. Up two steps from this into the kitchen with a back door.
From the hall, there is also a door to a storeroom where garden furniture is kept.
Up wooden staircase to living room with a window at the front looking onto the port. Up a few more stairs to a small landing. Off this one bedroom (bunk beds) with view of port and one bathroom.
Up a few more stairs to another bedroom (one double) with view of port and one ensuite bathroom.
Up more stairs to another bedroom (one double and one single)and up more stairs to another bedroom (one single and one sofa bed).
|Bedroom Details:||1 bunk bed (first flr.), 1 dble (sec. flr.), 1 dble and 1 sing (third flr), 1 sing and sofa bed (fourth flr).|
|Bathrooms:||2; (1 ensuite bathroom (shwr, W.C. and washbasin)(on sec. flr). Bath/shwr, W,C., bidet and washbasin. (first flr).)|
|Nearest Shop:||In town - a few minutes walk|
|Bars/Restaurants:||In the port area -a few minutes walk|
|Nearest Airport:||Vigo (54km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (554km)|
View Full Details
|Booking Seasons||Small Party|
|High||Easter; July; August||£1350||£|
|Low||Rest of Year||£1000||£|
This property has the following options
(NB 'short breaks' and 'small party' offers not available in high season)
Self Catering Holiday (min 7 nights)
Small Party (max 2) Holiday (min 7 nights)
Just a short drive to the North lies Isla Arousa, accessible by road bridge, with miles of beautiful beaches whilst to the south lies the popular tourist resort of O Grove.
Cambados itself is teeming with wine merchants, tapas bars and seafood restaurants, has several buildings of historic interest and a lovely seafront promenade with views out across the ria.
- Go across to Illa de Arousa and enjoy the lovely beaches there. Take a boat trip or go canoeing there.
- Visit the Valle Inclan museum in Vilanova de Arousa.
- Sample the local gastronomy at the restaurants and bars in the old quarter of Vilanova de Arousa and Illa de Arousa - great food, great value!
- Lovely riverside walks " Las Rutas de Los Molinos" taking in ancient watermills (some now restored) in Meano and the surrounding area .
- Numerous Bodegas (wineries) to visit in the area to sample and buy the fantastic, internationally renowned white wine "Albarino".
- Visit the ancient monasteries of Armentieira and Poio, just a short drive away.
- Spend a few hours or more in the old, coastal town of Cambados, capital and heart of the Albarino wine making area.
- Enjoy Combarro, a museum almost, of a typical Galician fishing village.
- Take a boat trip in the Rias de Arousa and Pontevedra, visiting the mussel beds.
- Enjoy all kinds of watersports - diving, snorkelling, sailing,windsurfing, canoeing, rafting and fishing.
- Experience the lively fish markets at Sanxenxo, O Grove and Portonovo. Buy produce to cook at home.
- Play golf at the fabulous 18 hole courses at nearby Meis and Isla La Toja.
- Horse riding and cycling (you can rent electric bikes, with or without a guide).
- Feast on fish and seafood at the lively resort and marina of Sanxenxo.
- Take a boat trip to the magical Islas Cies from Vigo.
- Visit the historic cities of Santiago de Compostela, Pontevedra and Vigo - all within easy reach.
Holiday Ideas near Cambados
The Rias Bajas region in the south of Galicia is well served by air:
From Heathrow to A Coruña with Vueling (BA);
From Gatwick to Santiago with Easyjet;
From Stansted to Vigo or Santiago with Ryanair;
From Dublin to Vigo with Ryanair or Santiago with Aer Lingus.
For the more southerly properties flights to Porto in Portugal may also be a good option:
From Heathrow with BA;
From Gatwick with Easyjet or TAP;
From Stansted with Ryanair;
From Luton with Easyjet;
From Manchester with TAP, Easyjet or Ryanair;
From Bristol with Easyjet;
From Edinburgh with Ryanair;
From Dublin with TAP and Ryanair.
NB Flights are not included but we can advise on routes and timetables
Good motorway links now make ferry travel a possibility though you may need to consider stop-overs depending on sailing times (see our selection of hotels)
(Vigo is 5 hours 30 mins from Santander)
Ferries: Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao – 7 sailings weekly. Ireland to North Spain - 2 sailings a week.
We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.