Historic mountain hotel, Cantabria and AsturiasRegules | Ref: HREG1 | Bedrooms: 9
A house with a long history, it was virtually a ruin when the present owners bought it in 2005, but they have lovingly and painstakingly restored it to its former glory and opened its doors as a hotel in 2011. The bridge itself was and is a very important link from the coast to the farming valley of the interior and the amazing Parque Natural de los Collados del Asón where there are over 4000 subterranean caves!
With elegant spacious rooms, all creature comforts provided, each individually furnished and decorated, most with balconies and all with splendid views - of river, hills and mountains - this family-run hotel with its stylish restaurant and large glass-covered terrace by the river where you can wine or dine, makes for a very special stay.
Only half an hour to the coast and the popular beaches of Laredo and Santoña, an hour to Santander and to Bilbao and the Guggenheim, yet in true countryside, this is the perfect combination for a relaxing break or an active one -the area is very popular with cyclists and fishermen.
Emilio, the owner, will make sure you have a memorable stay at this warm and welcoming hotel.
Accommodation DescriptionAll the hotel rooms have en-suite bathrooms, most of them with hydro-massage shower. They all have satellite t.v., central heating and wi-fi connection. Types of accommodation;
- Picón del Fraile: Sleeps 4. Two bedrooms.
- Mirador: Sleeps 3. Double bed + sofa. Terrace.
- Gran Gándara: Sleeps 4. Bedroom + sitting room with sofa bed. Large terrace.
- Puerto de Lunada: Sleeps 5. 3 bedrooms.
- Villauso: Sleeps 4. Two bedrooms.
- Puerto de la Sía: Sleeps 4. Two bedrooms. Terrace.
FacilitiesBar and large glass covered terrace overlooking the Rio Gándara and the mountains. Restaurant. (These are open to the public). Spa - jaccuzi and sauna, free to all guests. Children's enclosed playground by the river. Sitting room with fireplace. Lift. Free WI-FI connection throughout the hotel. Bicycles available for guests' use. Laundry service.
RestaurantThe restaurant serves a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Meals can be taken on the covered terrace. Menú del día and à la carte available. Traditional, regional cooking, but "pinchos de lechazo Castellano" - baby lamb kebabs, a speciality.
There are country restaurants at Casa Tablas at 5 kms and at La Gándara (9kms). Ramales de la Victoria at 8 kms has plenty of choice and at 27 kms going towards the coast is the Michelín one star restaurant Solana at Ampuero.
|Nearest Shop:||8 km|
|Bars/Restaurants:||In the hotel|
|Nearest Airport:||Santander (72km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (73km)|
The sign outside the local bar says it all - "Bienvenidos a Regules, Salud y Pesetas" Welcome to Regules, Health and Pesetas!
There are no facilities in the village, but at 8 kms you have the interesting old town of Ramales de La Victoria which should have all that you need and there are restaurants at 5kms at Casatablas and at 9kms at La Gándara and the Michelín one star restaurant Solana at Ampuero is half an hour's drive away.
2. Explore the natural park of Los Collados del Asón either by car, on foot or by bike. The hotel Casa del Puente can organise guided excursions. There are over 4,000 caves here.
3. Visit the source of the Río Gándara and the viewpoint of Las Cascadas del Gándara at the village of La Gándara and the source of the Río Asón with its magical waterfall and karst rock formations in a glacial valley.
4. Tour the local area taking in the villages with some fine examples of domestic and religious architecture. It is amazing how many grand old houses there are!
5. Visit the Sanctuary of La Bien Aparecida, patron of Cantabria, in Hoz de Marón, near Ampuero. On September 15th pilgrims flock here to celebrate mass.
6. Drive over the dramatic Puerto de la Sía to interesting old Espinosa de los Monteros and Burgos beyond.
7. Visit the only square bullring in Spain at Rasines.
8. Watch the running of the bulls at the beginning of September in Ampuero (the mini Pamplona).
9. Trout fishing (with a licence) in the Rio Gándara and Rio Asón.
10. Cycling - very popular in this area.
11. Enjoy the simple, but hearty local gastronomy trout, salmon, pork products, veal, baby lamb and kid, wild mushrooms and cheeses a speciality.
12. Visit Santander, Bilbao and the Guggenheim - all within an hour.
13.Go to the coastal towns and beaches of Laredo and Santoña. The best anchovies in Spain come from Santoña. Also there is a very good weekly market there on Saturdays.
Coastal Cantabria & Asturias region has excellent access by air and sea:
Stansted, Dublin or Edinburgh to Santander with Ryanair;
Stansted to Bilbao or Asturias with Easyjet;
Heathrow to Bilbao with British Airways.
Gatwick to Bilbao with Vueling (not daily).
Gatwick to Asturias with Vueling (not daily)
Heathrow to Asturias with BA (not daily)
Bristol to Bilbao with Easyjet (not daily).
NB Flights are not included but we can advise on routes and timetables
Ferries: Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao – 5 sailings weekly.
We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.