El Caño Chico, Castilla y LeonVillanueva del Conde | Ref: SVI12 | Bedrooms: 2 | Sleeps: 4
Cosy, rural charm. Beautiful garden. Splendid views of the Sierra.
Angela & Frederic (Spanish & French), the helpful owners, are very involved in the promotion of sustainable tourism in the area and are delighted to share their love and knowledge of it with their guests.
What really sets this house apart is the garden and balcony, both of which are beautifully kept and enjoy magnificent views of the Sierra; the garden has a natural water feature fed by a tiny stream from the fountains in the nearby square and a stone built barbeque area for guests to enjoy.
Special note: The Sierra de Francia is an area with exceptionally low contamination both in terms of air purity and light. It also has a dry climate with little cloud cover. This makes it an ideal area for star gazing. The owner Frederic is a keen astronomer with several large reflecting telescopes and, conditions permitting, will gladly take you out to view the stars - a chance not to be missed!
Accommodation DescriptionThrough main entrance up steps to front door. Into the living room (3 easy chairs, fireplace, TV) with kitchen corner on separate level (microwave, washing machine). Off living room to balcony (2 chairs, small table) and down to garden (garden furniture, BBQ, water trough). Upstairs to bedrooms (1 double; 1 double) & 1 bathroom.
|Bedroom Details:||2 dbl|
|Bathrooms:||1; (Upstrs, shwr over bath, bidet WC)|
|Nearest Shop:||In the village - a few mins walk|
|Bars/Restaurants:||Bar in village. Restaurant in Sequeros at 2 kms.|
|Nearest Airport:||Valladolid (210km)|
|Nearest Ferryport:||Santander (450km)|
View Full Details
|High||23 Mar - 6 Apr (Easter); 1 - 31 Aug; local holidays||£550|
|Mid||1 Jan - 28 Feb; 16 - 31 Jul; 1Nov - 31 Dec||£490|
|Low||1 - 22 Mar; 7 Apr - 31 Jul; 1 Sep -31 Oct||£430|
|Christmas and main public holidays are charged at mid or high season rates.|
This property has the following options
(NB 'short breaks' and 'small party' offers not available in high season)
Self Catering Holiday (min 7 nights)
Villanueva del Conde
There’s a gentle sleepy atmosphere in the narrow sloping streets of half-timbered houses decorated with flowers; a small shop and two bars provide the basic necessities, while Sequeros with a restaurant, shops and swimming pool at the hotel there is only 2 kms away.
There are good walks to nearby villages – that to Miranda del Castañar takes you through an ancient botanic garden, now wild but still beautiful. A mountain stream forms a natural swimming pool, two and a half kms from the village.
- Fantastic walking locally and in the Sierra de Francia (all abilities). Wild flowers galore, depending on the season.
- Stroll round Villanueva del Conde itself - there are so many fascinating little corners.
- Explore historic medieval towns and villages nearby - La Alberca, Miranda del Castanar, Sequeros, Mogorraz, Villanueva del Conde, Bejar ...
- Outdoor activities - horse riding, quads etc
- Go up to La Pena de Francia to see the black virgin at the monastery there and to take in the views.
- Venture into Las Batuecas where Bunuel shot his early masterpiece "Land Without Bread". Visit the Carmelite monastery there where he stayed.
- Visit the lovely old town of Cuidad Rodrigo, a crucial border in the Peninsula War. with its fine plaza mayor and grand mansions.
- Have a day out in the stunning city of Salamanca.
- Mushroom picking,guided walks or star gazing with the owners.
- Local culture and produce - the local jamon serrano from 'Guijuelo' is particularly good. Try the local cherry liqueur.paint-ball & climbing etc.
Salamanca is best accessed by flying to Madrid – the best options to Madrid are:
Heathrow with BA;
Gatwick with Easyjet;
Stansted with Ryanair;
Luton with Easyjet;
Manchester with Ryanair;
Bristol with Easyjet;
Edinburgh with Easyjet;
Dublin with Ryanair and Aer Lingus.
NB There are many connections with Madrid. Please call us for help and advice if you don’t see you nearest airport here.
Should you prefer to arrive by ferry there are regular sailings from Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander with Brittany Ferries. Please ask us for a quote.
If travelling by air we recommend renting a hire car to make the most out of your visit to the area. If you prefer to use public transport please consult our expert staff for advice on which properties are more suitable.
If coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle - we recommend that you ensure that insurance and breakdown cover are in place. For full advice on how to prepare the vehicle etc see the Brittany Ferries website
In either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at your holiday accommodation, complete with GPS co-ordinates.