On hot summer days, what better than a refreshing bowl of iced soup? Most of us are familiar with tomato based gazpacho, but here is the white version. From southern Spain, it is more interesting and more subtle in flavour, and the addition of white grapes, counterparts perfectly with the milky texture of the soup. Normally made with iced water, a homemade chicken or vegetable stock, gives it an extra kick.
4 ounces blanched almonds or ground almonds
2 cloves garlic peeled
1 teaspoon salt
4 slices bread (a day old with crusts removed)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
2 pints homemade iced chicken or vegetable stock.
8 ounces peeled and seeded white grapes.
1. Put the almonds, garlic and salt in a blender. Blend until the almonds are very finely ground.
2. Soak the bread in some of the iced stock.
3. With the motor running add the bread to the almond mixture.
4. Then, pour in the oil in a thin stream.
5. Add the vinegar and keep blending, scraping the sides of the blender.
6. Add half a pint of the stock and blend.
7. Then pour the liquid into a large bowl and stir in the rest of the stock.
8. Add more salt and vinegar if desired.
9. Strain through a sieve.
10. Chill in the fridge for a few hours.
11. Serve very cold, garnished with the grapes and croutons.