This delightful "Indiano" mansion, built in 1850, sits comfortably beside a bridge over the lovely Río Gándara in the beautiful, untouched Valle de Soba, in the Alto Asón area of eastern Cantabria.
A house with a long history, it was virtually a ruin when the present owners bought it in 2005, but they have lovingly and painstakingly restored it to its former glory and opened its doors as a hotel in 2011. The bridge itself was and is a very important link from the coast to the farming valley of the interior and the amazing Parque Natural de los Collados del Asón where there are over 4000 subterranean caves!
With elegant spacious rooms, all creature comforts provided, each individually furnished and decorated, most with balconies and all with splendid views - of river, hills and mountains - this family-run hotel with its stylish restaurant and large glass-covered terrace by the river where you can wine or dine, makes for a very special stay.
Only half an hour to the coast and the popular beaches of Laredo and Santoña, an hour to Santander and to Bilbao and the Guggenheim, yet in true countryside, this is the perfect combination for a relaxing break or an active one -the area is very popular with cyclists and fishermen.
Warm and welcoming
Emilio, the owner, will make sure you have a memorable stay.
Prices shown are indicative- rates vary mid-week to weekends and at local holidays, proceed to 'Book now' for a quote.
The hotel has 2 double bedrooms, 1 triple and 6 suites (sleeping from 2 - 5 people) and 3 apartments with kitchens (sleeping from 4 - 9 people). All rooms have ensuite bathrooms, satellite T.V. and central heating and free WI-FI connection.
1. Primavera double room: Double bed. 2 small balonies overlooking river. Hydro-massage shower.
2. Covalanas double room: Double bed. 2 small balconies overlooking river. Hydro-massage shower.
3. Cullavera triple room: Double bedroom and single bedroom. In attic storey.
4.Picón del Fraile Suite (2 -4 people): Kingsize bed. Second bedroom with 2 singles. 2 small balconies with mountain and river views. Hydromassage shower.
5. Mirador Suite (2 people): Double bed; sofa and armchair. South facing with picture window and terrace with views onto river and mountains. Hydro-massage shower.
6. Gran Gándara Junior Suite (2 - 4 people): Double bedroom. Sitting room with double sofa bed. Large terrace with views onto river and mountains. In attic storey.
7. Puerto de Lunada Suite (5 people): 3 bedrooms - one with kingsize bed, one with double bed,one with single bed.
Large picture window and each bedroom has a small balcony.
8. Villasuso Suite (4 people): Double bedroom with kingsize bed and second bedroom with two single beds. Large picture window with views of river and mountain.
9. Puerto de la Sía Suite (3 -4 people): Double bedroom and second bedroom with two single beds. South facing. Terrace with views of river and mountains. Hydro-massage shower.
Direct access from the road and lift to all floors. Please enquire about wheelchair suitability.
Santander (72 km)
Santander (73 km)
Bar and large glass covered terrace overlooking the Rio Gándara and the mountains. Restaurant. (These are open to the public). Spa - jaccuzi and sauna, free to all guests. Children's enclosed playground by the river. Sitting room with fireplace. Lift. Free WI-FI connection throughout the hotel. Bicycles available for guests' use. Laundry service.
The restaurant serves a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Meals can be taken on the covered terrace. Menú del día and à la carte available. Traditional, regional cooking, but "pinchos de lechazo Castellano" - baby lamb kebabs, a speciality.
There are country restaurants at Casa Tablas at 5 kms and at La Gándara (9kms). Ramales de la Victoria at 8 kms has plenty of choice and at 27 kms going towards the coast is the Michelín one star restaurant Solana at Ampuero.